CodeIgniter is a free, open-source PHP web application framework that is used for the rapid development without the overhead of having to constantly create reusable components. It is developed for those developers who require an elegant yet simple toolkit to build full-fledged web applications. It offers logical structure and reusable interface to libraries that are written to perform common tasks.
It also offers a fast extensible foundation to write complex software. It is based on MVC architecture. Whereas the controller classes a significant part of the development, remaining components (Models and Views) are optional. It not only simplifies the PHP code but also brings out an entirely interactive and dynamic website, that too at a short time. It makes your code easier to read and your web more robust.
Some of its key features along with the reason why one for it should are maintained below:-
Enables Fast Performance:
It has a rich set of functionality and features including a small footprint meaning that it is lightweight and contains very little overhead, which lends itself towards the fast performance.
No Configuration Required:
It requires almost no configurations to get started and is also easy to get going. It’s lighter, faster and least like a framework.
Its components can be reused on different projects leveraging a common interface. It enables developers in building full-fledged web applications.
1. Its Query Builder Database Support.
2. Its Form and Data Validation.
3. Its Security, XSS Filtering and Session Management.
4. Its Full Featured database classes with support for several platforms.
5. Its Full Page Caching, Data Encryption, Application Profiling & Zip Encoding Class
6. Its Flexible URI Routing, Large library of “helper” functions & XML-RPC Library.
7. Its Image Manipulation Library (cropping, resizing, rotating, etc.). Supports GD, ImageMagick, and NetPBM.
8. Its Email Sending Class. It Supports Attachments, HTML/Text email, multiple protocols (send mail, SMTP, and Mail) and more.
9. Its File Uploading Class, FTP Class, Localization, Benchmarking, Error Logging, Pagination, Calendaring Class, User Agent Class, Template Engine Class and so on.